Woburn High School has instilled the importance of education in generations of students for over 165years. The school opened its doors in 1852 with thirty-four students in a leased room at the Knight Building on Main Street. Increasing enrollment and curriculum requirements necessitated the building of a larger school on Main Street in 1854 and again in 1906 at the Dow farm property on Montvale Avenue. Woburn’s reputation as a leading leather manufacturer during the Civil War inspired the Tanner nickname, bull mascot and school motto: “Tanner Pride.” With the leadership of only fourteen principals, throughout its history, over thirty-two thousand students have graduated from this school. Today, more than half the faculty are returning alumni, and generations of Woburn families continue to send their children to this school.
– excerpt from Woburn High School – History, Pride, Tradition book by Susan Thifault